Thursday, June 11, 2020

Recovery Thought of the Day - June 11th

Good Morning CR Family,

Below you will find today's Recovery Thought of the Day from Perry C!

The Cure

Have you ever been talking with a friend or loved one, said something and wished you could take it back the moment it escaped your lips? It happened to me last night.  I said something that was true but harsh and the minute it came out of my mouth, I thought wow that was severe and insensitive.  I wish I hadn’t said that.  When I got off the phone, I knew I needed to apologize. But I got busy, it was late, and I went to bed.

This morning, one cup of coffee down I am spending time with God and bingo the Holy Spirit reminds me of my offense from last night. Step 9 and its Biblical principle came to mind. “We made direct amends to such people whenever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.” “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar.  First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift,” Matthew 5:23-24. Hmm, I really should call my friend and apologize. 

Then all the rationalizing happened.  My comment was not about the person I was speaking with…no one is perfect… my hip was hurting me when I said it, she most likely didn’t even notice my comment....in fact she has probably already forgotten what I said.  Really, those are my excuses?

People in recovery are skillful and great at lying and rationalizing to ourselves.  Come on now, this is all of us. But making amends, being willing to say, I was wrong, please forgive me is the only cure to moving on in life, free and forgiven.  Forgiveness is the path of healing. Facing our past, forgiving ourselves and those who have hurt us as well as God who allowed it to happen and then making amends for our part is the only lasting solution to sin.  Forgiveness breaks the cycle and allows relationships to heal.

So, hey I got to go and make a phone call.  To my accountability partners, please check in on me and hold me accountable, make sure I apologized to my friend and asked her to forgive me. It takes a tribe, we need one another.

Who will you call today to make an amend?

Announcements:
  1. If you are in need of prayer, please send your prayer requests to CelebrateRecoveryatCrossroads@gmail.com and we will forward those on to our celebrate recovery prayer team. The Crossroads Church Prayer team would also love to pray for you, so when you send your E-mail, please note if you are okay with us forwarding your prayer request to the church.
  2. Fridays at 6:30pm, We are hosting "CR Friday Night Live."   To subscribe to our youtube channel  please click on the following link and select the subscribe button.  CR Youtube Channel Link .  There will be a song or two of worship and then a short recovery based dialog between a couple of CR members.  This will be streamed on youtube. 
  3. Fridays we will be hosting on-line open share group meetings at 7:30pm.  There will be one mixed issues group for men and one mixed issues group for women. Men's Open Share Group Sign-Up Link / Women's Open Share Group Sign-Up Link These meetings will take place using the Zoom App.  In order to participate you will need a tablet, smart-phone or computer with camera.  In order to ensure confidentiality of these meetings everyone who participates will need to find a private room to set up, have their camera on, so others can see that there is no one else in the room and they will also need to wear a pair of headphones so that they are the only ones that can hear.  This is a free app and you can download it on google play, apple app store or through your web-browser on your computer. For help on how to join a Zoom meeting please click on the the following link, which will take you to their support web-site Zoom Set-Up Help
Blessings,
James U.

No comments:

Post a Comment